Preston FRCS Plast Viva Course Description
This is a novel course designed to be delivered remotely to achieve maximum effectiveness. VIVA is weighted strongly and constitutes 52% of the marks in the FRCS (Plast) Exams. In the peri examination period, it is essential that all available time is utilised judiciously. This course avoids unnecessary travel, saving time and cost and yet delivers the content in the same way as a face to face course via a reliable Zoom platform. There is no time wasted in moving between the tables and there are no didactic lectures to listen. We strongly believe that close to the exam; the purpose of the course is to test your knowledge and your ability to deliver that effectively.
The format of the course will be the similar as the JCIE FRCS (Plast) VIVA. Our focus will be on personal attention and personal feedback. To achieve this, we have only kept three candidates in the full 4-hour VIVA session. In the session you will be having a VIVA in all the three major sections with all the three themes covered in each section. Additionally, you will be able to listen to the VIVA of two other candidates and learn. There will be individual feedback at the end.
The programme for the half-day is as follows –
Log in to the Zoom link sent 10 mins before the scheduled time to be ready.
Make sure you have printed the illustrations as you maybe asked to draw diagrams, e.g. cleft lip markings
Scheduled start time 0830 hrs for morning session, and 1330 hrs for the afternoon session
Introductions and Dos and Don’ts (see below)
VIVA begins with questions alternating between the three candidates in the group covering all the sections -
There are two 10-minute breaks at approximately 1hr 15mins and 2hrs 30 mins
Course ends at 1300hrs for the morning session and 1800hrs for the afternoon session
Dos and Don’ts
1. Please make sure you choose a quiet room for the whole duration of the course and put do not disturb sign on the door. Remember any disturbance is going to affect not only you but the other candidates as well.
2. Please make sure you have put your phones and other electronic devices to silent but do not switch off your phones as we will need to contact you if platform fails.
3. Video conference drains significant battery power of your device, please make sure your device is fully charged and you have a charger/power pack handy.
4. You will get reminders and links for the course and we hope you are comfortable with the Zoom platform but if there are any issues, please contact us and we can help.
5. Please make sure you always keep your microphone on mute apart from when you are having the VIVA or feedback.
6. Please keep your Video camera on so that all of us can see each other. This is courteous to colleagues attending the session and will create a realistic situation.
7. In the rare situation that there is a technical failure of the platform, we will ring you and try to fix the problem.
8. Please keep a notepad and pen handy to note down any points when you are listening to VIVAs.
9. For copyright and confidentiality purposes you are requested not to take any photos of the screen, any screenshots or record the session.
10. At the end of VIVA session, feedback will be confidential and one to one. Each candidate will be going to an individual breakout room and the examiner will visit each room to provide the feedback.
11. You will be required to draw in some of the VIVA questions – Please print the Illustration Template file from this link, preferably the day before the course -